Saturday, November 6, 2010

New Reel Piece - Blocking

After talking with the two animation supervisors at work, I decided to start on a new reel piece and forget the one I had been working on. This is only a 3 second clip. I know there are a lot of things I need to work on in animation, and I think such a short clip can help me focus on mastering those problem areas. Specifically, I need more cartoony and snappier acting. I also need to work on my body mechanics. So, comment freely, this is just my initial blocking stage so the work still has a lot of wiggle room. And PS: it is called Best Shot because of the dialogue, not because I am vain haha.

1 comment:

  1. I like it. I especially like how goofy you made Dan's face, it feels like Chris Farley. The main thing I'd say is staging. I'm not quite sure where they are(not important), and Gabe's head is off screen at the beginning(probably more important). It's not that it's technically bad, it's just odd framing, I would recommend changing the frame there to be 100% opaque and black instead of 50% opaque and gray. Then you'll just be seeing what's actually in your shot. You can probably just bring up the camera to a waist and up mid shot.

    Gabe's pose seems kind of forgotten about too. His head isn't even really looking at Dan. Remember that acting is all about reacting and you don't want to make Gabe seem like he's just waiting for his cue to punch Dan. Maybe flesh out more whey they are in this situation and that can drive Gabe's pose a bit more and maybe give you an idea for some small thing he's doing like wringing his hands or something.

    ReplyDelete