Wednesday, October 6, 2010

New Blog!/Character Designs

Rory! You finally have a blog?
Yeah I does! Alright, these sketches are some thumbnails I was working on for my character design class at Nickelodeon. The premise was a dog or cat who resides either in space or underwater. I decided on a dog in space, inspired by the stray dog that Katie and I found in New Mexico (pictured in background). We had named the puppy Laika, after the Russian dog that was launched into orbit, being officially the first live mammal that humans sent into space. While the original Laika died in space, we were doing our best to save our stray from the same fate, so we brought her to a shelter in Flagstaff, AZ. And she just got adopted!

Back to character design: I tried to develop a character with her same personality, not necessarily physical design. Here is where I'm at now:

The idea is, he floats through space, alone, bumping (literally) into adventure and food. Animated, the legs/arms will be Max Fleischer-esque, virtually boneless. He is timid and physically weak, but curious and enthusiastic.

The problem I am having with the design is the resemblance to Bill Plympton's dog design. Another issue I have is with the legs, right now I feel as if they are too even and uniformly spaced.

HONK HONK, Deuces.

No comments:

Post a Comment